Tuesday, October 11, 2011

New School Uniform

I have been part of a committee to upgrade the school uniform at the Primary School my children attend.  When we first looked at moving to Sydney, several of my children begged me to choose a different school because this one had such an ugly uniform.  To refresh your memory, here are my children at the start of this year.  Only Ben likes it because it is 'Hawthorn' colours (the AFL team he barracks for).

  The Uniform committee has worked long and hard to come up with a new uniform, and it has begun the process of being introduced at school.  Yesterday was the first day it was permitted to be worn to school.  There is a two year change over period, where people can wear either the old uniform or the new (not a mixture of the two).  Today my children all wore the new uniform.  They were all up, dressed and sitting quietly on the couch listening to Abby read them a story before my alarm even went off at 6:30 this morning.  A new uniform is obviously a very exciting event.  Here they are, ready for school, looking (in my opinion) a million times better than they did in the yellow and brown.


Technically the hats and jackets are not official uniform as there has been a hold up with supply of these items and these are some I have substituted from local shops, but it is basically the same as the official items, just without the school logo.

The only disappointment was that the kids in Abby's class (who have worn the old uniform for 5-6 years already) are very loyal to the brown and gold and were calling her a traitor and telling her she looked stupid.  Heartbreaking to have happen when she was so excited before school, but if she chooses to go back to the old uniform most of the time, that's okay.  One girl was even hitting her (not hard fortunately) but sad all the same.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

They look wonderful! As a fellow school mum (who hated the old uniform!), I really appreciate all your hard work on this Esther.

It's disappointing to hear of the reactions of Abby's classmates... I'm sure everyone will get used to the change eventually - and in the meantime, I hope Abby keeps wearing the new one proudly!

Nic

kelgell said...

They look great. The newness helps too I think. (No worn look yet.) I like the colours better too. I like yellow though but these people who organise uniforms seem to only ever match it with the brown.

That's just nasty about Abby's classmates. :( I always admire people who have enough confidence and are comfortable enough with themselves to wear whatever they want. Abby should tell them to embrace change...they ARE all soon to head off to highschool right? Hope she's not to stressed by it all.

Ezzie must like it...being green. :)