Sunday, August 19, 2012

Target lingerie ads on TV

Target has a new ad on TV for lingerie.  I saw this ad a few nights ago and commented to Simon that I was glad it was past 'family viewing' time because some of the poses are very sexualised.

Today as I was feeding Bethy, I turned on the TV and a movie was just starting.  It was an old movie about an escape attempt from a POW camp during WWII.  This is a subject I am quite interested in, so I continued to watch and the boys sat down to watch it with me.

I was VERY disappointed when the Target lingerie ad came on during Sunday afternoon family TV viewing time.  I hoped the boys would not be paying attention, but I noticed they sat up and watched with interest and some embarrassment as a series of women paraded around in their underwear, a couple with provocative and suggestive poses.

So, I did something I haven't done before.  I looked up the Target website and registered a complaint about their ad, and the time it was used in.  I don't know if it will do any good, but I am glad I have done something.

1 comment:

kelgell said...

Such a fine line. And they purposefully play with it. The timing is bad too. Hopefully there's no loop hole that allows them to keep airing it at that time or other 'family' times. And good on you for taking a stand.